immersion in nature
Completed in early 2007, this cottage is situated on Beaver Lake in the beautiful Kawartha Highlands region. It is a simple and elegant composition of two principal volumes, one elongated and open containing spaces for entertaining and socializing, the other vertically organized housing sleeping quarters and washrooms. Having resided for several years in Japan, the clients wished to recall certain aesthetic and functional aspects of Japanese living while respecting the material and formal traditions of the contemporary Ontario cottage.
To this end, the long pavilion opens to the outdoors via four large sliding glass panels framed in Douglas Fir giving equal attention to both the intimacy of the forest and the long views down to the lake. The simple roof plane extends beyond the dwelling to shelter a bath house modeled on the traditional Japanese Onsen. The combination of Ontario cottage country culture and Japanese sensitivity to nature culminates in this space designed for the purpose of communal bathing and relaxing, immersed in the tranquil beauty of it’s natural surroundings. This design is the unique result of our close typical collaboration with our clients. The result is a clean, contemporary design that pays as much attention to the beautiful wooded lot as it does the lake.
Light wood framing, prefab roof trusses, prefinished pine and fir siding, local limestone, reclaimed beech floors.
- Program and Spatial Optimization
- Integration with the ‘Natural Assets’ of your Site and Terrain
- Site Specific View and Vista Optimization
- Passive Solar Heating
- Natural Ventilation and Passive Cooling
- Natural Daylighting
- High Performance Envelope Design
- Material Optimization and Modular Design
- Renewable Materials and Finishes
- Reclaimed and Recycled Materials
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) and Non-toxic Materials and Finishes
- Heat Recovery Ventilation
- Water Conserving Appliances & Fixtures