great design on a shoestring
This simple yet contemporary 2 bedroom cottage is located on the shores of Lake Muskoka in Ontario’s historic Muskoka Lakes cottage region. The area has a rich tradition of cottaging going back 150 years but is currently in threatened by overdevelopment. This modest dwelling exists as the antithesis to the current trend toward the brash, exuberant monster homes that now dominate the landscape on the ‘Big Three’ Lakes. This home strives for the minimum space required to enjoy the maximum potential of the surrounding beauty.
The long rectangular volume is slotted through the trees perpendicular to the shore, minimizing the building’s frontage on the lake and it’s impact on the site. This approach, in combination with extensive glazing and dark cladding, allows the structure to disappear into the forest and become invisible from the lake. Paying close attention to the natural topography of the site, the ground floor level drops with the site as the building approaches the lake. The result is a split level volume with varying ceiling heights allowing each consecutive space to look over the next and enjoy views of the water.
The ground floor contains a guest suite, kitchen, screened porch, living area and exterior deck space with a carport tucked under the projecting roof line. The master suite occupies the second store`y and walks out onto a green roof deck. Elegant, modern spaces have been carefully crafted from inexpensive materials and innovative construction techniques. The restrained yet rich material palette included interior finishes of birch plywood, painted drywall and slate. The exterior was finished in douglas fir, pre-finished pine, pre-finished birch plywood and cedar decking.
- Program and Spatial Optimization
- Integration with the ‘Natural Assets’ of Site and Terrain
- Site Specific View and Vista Optimization
- Natural Ventilation and Passive Cooling
- Natural Daylighting
- High Performance Envelope Design
- Renewable and/or Recyclable Materials and Finishes
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) and Non-toxic Materials and Finishes
- Heat Recovery Ventilation
- Low Energy Lighting & Appliances (LED, CFL lighting and Energy Star appliances)
- Water Conserving Appliances & Fixtures (low flow/ dual flush toilets)
- Green Roof Systems