This 3-season, off-grid cottage is located in the main channel into Parry Sound, south of Killbear Provincial Park. Situated on the narrow western tip of Long’s Island, the design conforms to tight and challenging setback requirements. Soaring roof planes provide generous southern shading while also opening it up to a panoramic view of the channel and park on the north side. The natural, indirect light from this northern exposure will benefit the second storey studio loft and several art display walls.
Currently in the design development phase.
- Site Specific View and Vista Optimization – Site Specific Design
- Natural Ventilation and Passive Cooling Strategies
- Natural Daylighting Strategies
- High Performance Building Envelope Design – Insulation & Air-tightness
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) and Non-toxic Materials and Finishes
- Advanced, Clean Burning Wood Heating Systems (ie. Contraflow Masonry Heaters)
- Solar Hot Water Systems
- Solar Electric (Photovoltaic or PV systems) – Off-Grid and Grid Intertied Systems
- Advanced Wastewater Treatment (Greywater and Tertiary Septic Systems)
- Composting Toilets
- Rainwater Collection and Reuse
- Low Energy Lighting & Appliances
- Water Conserving Appliances & Fixtures (i.e. Low Flow Fixtures, Dual Flush Toilets)
- Advanced Media Systems – Integrated Acoustics and Entertainment Systems