This year-round residence takes advantage of the entire site, set amongst towering white pines. The project was essentially comprised of two solid volumes connected by a glazed entry space and indoor/outdoor living room. The roof of the living room is sheltered between the two solids and becomes an additional outdoor space with a view over the lake, a garden and a hot tub. The home is a balance of program spaces, with the public entertaining spaces of the living room, dining room and kitchen wrapping one side of the the central void and the more private and intimate spaces of the library and den situated at the other.
Two stone walls shield the house from the road while a canopy reaches out to create a welcoming entry. Warm, yet contemporary materials utilized throughout create a cozy yet light atmosphere.
- Passive Solar Heating
- Natural Ventilation and Passive Cooling
- Natural Daylighting
- High Performance Envelope Design
- Renewable Materials and Finishes
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) and Non-toxic Materials and Finishes
- Radiant Heating
- Heat Recovery Ventilation
- Low Energy Lighting & Appliances
- Water Conserving Appliances & Fixtures
- Green Roofs