The primary objective in this project was to deliver a clean and contemporary interior space, whilst retaining the distinctive red brick exterior. Consequently, the project experienced a full internal renovation which included reprogramming all internal spaces.
By introducing insulation to all external walls within the existing envelope, we were able utilize the increased thermal mass to stablize both indoor temperatures as well as air humidity, and in turn reduce all heating and cooling loads. The ability to re-design the entire interior also enabled us to maximize natural daylighting to key living spaces, along with increasing passive solar gains. As well, the incorporation of a number of water conserving fixtures and the inclusion of numerous low energy appliances have collectively added to the sustainable edge of this project.
Douglas fir cladding, cherry millwork, maple floors, mesh guards.
- Program and Spatial Optimization
- Passive Solar Heating
- Natural Ventilation and Passive Cooling
- Natural Daylighting
- High Performance Envelope Design
- Material Optimization and Modular Design
- Renewable Materials and Finishes
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) and Non-toxic Materials and Finishes
- Low Energy Lighting & Appliances
- Water Conserving Appliances & Fixtures