This new build, grandfathered on the site of a demolished previous cottage, features a new 4 bedroom layout, carefully notched into the steep sloped site taking advantage of a beautiful lake view across Skeleton Bay nestled deep in the Muskoka region.
The rear of the main floor modestly sits on the upper edge of the hill side, with a walk out basement facing the lake below. Once inside, the rear entrance overlooks the main living quarters, kitchen, dining and living rooms. A large stone fire place delineates the main floor area which also extends down beside the central stair opening, connecting the main floor to the basement below. The stair opening also provides a physical and visual connection with the lake, perceptually pulling the shoreline into the center of the cottage along the same axis as the rear entrance. Exposed heavy timber framing supports a butterflied roof design that allows for tall glass walls to frame lake views, and a simple but strong wood rafter and beam ceiling finish off a modern yet still rustic cottage aesthetic. The master bedroom and ensuite bath are located on the main floor with an adjacent guest bedroom for young children. Storage, mechanical, recreation and an additional 2 bedrooms are located on the lower floor with basement walk-out to the lake. Responding to both geographical and zoning restrictions, the main floor volume cantilevers past the basement perimeter, creating an elevated wood clad design floating on heavy split face granite basement walls effectively anchoring the building into the hillside.
- Program and Spatial Optimization
- Integration with the ‘Natural Assets’ of Site and Terrain
- Site Specific View and Vista Optimization
- Passive Solar Heating (Thermal Storage Mass)
- Natural Ventilation and Passive Cooling
- Natural Daylighting
- High Performance Envelope Design
- Renewable and/or Recyclable Materials and Finishes
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) and Non-toxic Materials and Finishes
- Heat Recovery Ventilation
- Radiant Heating
- Solar Hot Water Systems (Domestic and In Floor Radiant Heating)
- Low Energy Lighting & Appliances (LED, CFL lighting and Energy Star appliances)