Collingwood, Ontario, Canada
Designed for a local artist to enjoy, this residence is located just south of Collingwood, in the heart of the Clearview area. A broad selection of sustainable technologies, including a geothermal pond loop and green house set this project apart from others in the area. The building itself draws inspiration from a number of intimate relationships and views, both through the adjacent woodlands, as well as across the nearby pond.
The function of the 4,500 square foot building was extensive, and coupled with the clients desire to maintain a single level layout, made the design team particularly aware of the need to integrate the building into its surroundings in a subtle manner. Consequently, this quickly became one of our main focuses and thus gave the scheme real direction as we sought to arrange each space appropriately within the overall layout to take advantage of the site and its beauty as well as to make sure that the building was as user friendly and functional as possible.
The exterior material palette was of particular importance as it was paramount that the building be embedded within its surroundings, and so we chose to pursue a selection of materials that would reflect the nature of the adjacent landscape and in particular its seasonally changing colours and textures. True to this we incorporated the ever evolving characteristics of corten steel, the earthy tones of a deep grey/blue pre-finished wood siding, as well as slate and Brazilian ipe wood decking.
- Program and Spatial Optimization
- Integration with the ‘Natural Assets’ of the site and terrain
- Site Specific View and Vista Optimization
- Passive Solar Heating
- Natural Ventilation and Passive Cooling
- Natural Daylighting
- High Performance Envelope Design
- Material Optimization and Modular Design
- Renewable Materials and Finishes
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) and Non-toxic Materials and Finishes
- Advanced Geothermal Systems
- Radiant Heating
- Heat Recovery Ventilation
- Low Energy Lighting & Appliances
- Water Conserving Appliances & Fixtures